Located in the northern outskirts of Kunming, about 7 kilometers from the city center, the Yunnan Wild Animal Park is an attractive destination. As a popular weekend getaway for locals and visitors, the park combines wildlife taming and breeding, sightseeing, science education, and wildlife protection.
The park was built in July 2004, covering an area of around 200 hectares. It is the largest wildlife park in southwest China, housing more than 10,000 animals of 200 species. Beyond this, it's a natural forest park - 90% of its area is covered by forest. The areas with animals are separated into parts as the Rare and Precious Animals Area, the Animals’ Kindergarten, the Halls of Pandas, Lions and Tigers and many others.
The park has become an important base for wildlife protection in Yunnan Province. Also, the Kunming Zoo, formerly located at Yuantong Shan in the city center, close to the Yuantong Temple, has moved nearly all of its animals outside of town into this animal park.
- Opening hours: the park is open daily from 09:00h to 18:00h
- Entrance fee is 80 RMB per person or 60 RMB for students with valid identification cards.
- Call the park's hotline at (0871) 6501 8888 / 6501 7777 or visit their website for further information (Chinese only).
- Directions: to get to the zoo by bus, take the number 10 from Xiao Xi Men (小西门) or Jianshe Lu (建设路) to the last stop Golden Temple Bus Terminal (金殿车场), then transfer to number 235 and get off at the last stop Yunnan Wild Animal Park (野生动物园站).
- If you want to combine a visit to the Yunnan Wild Animal Park with other activities in Kunming, it might be easiest to rent a car with driver and/or a tour guide. Let us know if we can be of any help!